Tips for planning your trip to the CNE 2023
Founded in 1879, the annual event has evolved and grown over the years from an industrial show into a community fair. Today, the CNE, or “the Ex” as it’s commonly known, is one of Ontario’s great annual traditions, drawing over 1.4 million people each year. Want to make the most of your time at the Ex? Here are a few of our tips and tricks for planning your trip to the CNE.
Buy tickets and travel to the CNE using transit
Want to save money when you attend the Ex? There are several terrific ticket deals:
- Download School Kids Pass for free CNE admission to kids 5 to 13 years old.
- $11 After 5:00 p.m.: Admission after 5:00 p.m. from Mondays to Thursdays only costs $11
Leave your car at home and avoid spending time looking for parking. One of the most convenient ways to travel to the CNE is by either the TTC buses and streetcars (some stations offer some free parking) or the GO Train. The Exhibition Station is one stop (about an eight minute ride) west of Toronto’s main hub (Union Station) on the GO Train’s Lakeshore West Line. Learn more about travelling with GO Transit, including additional services and money saving transit passes.
If you decide to drive, the CNE is accessible from the Gardiner Expressway. Toronto’s Exhibition Place is located on Princes’ Boulevard, north of Lake Shore Boulevard West between Strachan and Dufferin Street. Get information on parking at the CNE.
Pick the best rides at the CNE
When planning your trip to the CNE, check out the rides with our sneak preview of what to expect. Love to scream? These ones will leave you exhilarated!
Himalaya and Sky Ride are some of the wildest rides. Here’s a closer look at some of the others offered:
- Star Dancer: This is a guaranteed thrill ride not just for riders, but also for spectators. Prepare to be dazzled with its over-the-top spinning motion and state-of-the-art light features. At more than 21 metres (70 feet) high, with a full 360-degree loop, this is an intense twirling ride.
- The CNE Classics: Fans of the Ex come back year after year for these rides that make your stomach drop. From the Swing Tower, to the Mega Drop, and much more, these ones are for the thrill seekers. All of them are included in the CNE’s Ride All Day pass.
- The Family Favourites: If you’re headed to the CNE with the kids, it’s the perfect chance to revisit some of your own childhood favourites like the classic Ferris Wheel, Bumper Cars, Keeps, Merry Go Round, Dragon Coaster and more.
- Games: The full CNE experience isn’t complete without visiting the Midway and winning a few (or many) plush characters to take home. With dozens of classic carnival games like Ring-A-Bottle, Hoop Shots, Skee Ball, FunBall, Whac-A-Mole and much more, kids and adults alike will delight in trying to win some of the available prizes.
Attend your favourite shows at the CNE
- Don’t miss the popular Canadian International Air Show (September 2-4, 2023), which showcases the dazzling aerial acrobatics of modern military jets, vintage warbirds and our country’s beloved Canadian Forces Snowbirds
- Be amazed by the agile performances of the Superdogs.
- Live Music: Various performers light up the stage at the CNE every year. 2023 performers include: Julian Taylor, Amanda Marshall, Jann Arden, The Spoons, A Flock of Seagulls, various tribute bands and more.
- Exhibits: Whether you’re a kid visiting the Ex for the first time or you’ve been to fairs all your life, you’re sure to find some new and exciting exhibits to see at the CNE.
Exciting attractions for the entire family
- Gaming enthusiasts will enjoy the esports competitions with great prizes at the CNE Gaming Garage.
- Daily kid-friendly entertainment and activities will delight the young ones at CNE Kids’ World.
- Shop for arts and crafts, deals from outlet stores, international pavilion merchandise and so many great gift ideas.
Get your tastebuds ready for all the delicious food at the CNE
Yes, you’ll find popular treats such as BeaverTails, corn dogs and Tiny Tom Donuts and of course, food unique to the CNE. The CNE also has various options for healthy food. Over one million people visit the Food Building at the CNE, where visitors can pick between local restaurants serving cuisines from around the world that fit every taste and budget. You can even find menu options that are vegan, raw and halal.
Don’t miss Food Building Special Offers. The Food Building is located west of the GO/TTC Gate and just north of BMO Field.
Last updated: August 22, 2023