Customs and passports

U.S. visitors to Ontario

All persons, including U.S. citizens, travelling by air between the United States and Canada (including in-transit passengers who are transferring planes in the U.S.) are required to present a valid passport or NEXUS card, according to American law, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

U.S. WHTI requirements state that all US citizens must present a passport book, passport card, or other WHTI-compliant documentation for entry into the U.S. by land and water.

Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate or another form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security provides more information on travel requirements.

Visit the U.S. Department of State or the Canada Border Services Agency for more information.

Canadian citizens

All Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, will need a valid Canadian passport to travel to Canada by air if coming from out of the country. 

If you are a Canadian citizen travelling from your province to Ontario, you will need to provide a Canadian identification document. Children travelling domestically by air will also be required to present one piece of government-issued identification, specifically with proof of age for infants two years old and under.

There are no requirements for Canadian citizens to cross provincial borders by road or water.

All other visitors to Ontario

Citizens of other countries, except Greenland, and residents of St-Pierre and Miquelon, must have a valid passport. Visitors from some countries also require a visitor's visa. Visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada for a complete list of countries whose citizens require visas to enter Canada.

All visa-exempt travellers will be required to obtain an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) to board their flight to Canada.

Travellers under the age of 18 and unaccompanied by a parent need a letter of permission to travel in Canada from a parent or guardian.

Customs and duty-free

Locate your nearest customs office at Border Information Service (BIS).

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency provides information on what agricultural items are restricted or prohibited from entry into Canada. Learn more about customs information for visitors to Ontario at Canada’s International Gateway, at Canada Border Services Agency and at Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Get the details on bringing alcoholic and tobacco products to Canada at Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

Learn more about duty-free allowances for returning residents of Canada.

More information about entering or re-entering the U.S. is available through U.S. Customs for returning residents of the U.S. If you are coming from another country, check your country’s customs allowances.   

Last updated: June 16, 2023

Looking for Ontario travel advice?

Our experts are here to help you plan your perfect trip. Call or book today.