Getting Here and Around

Whether it’s air, road, rail or water, there’s an array of ways to get to and around Ontario. From crossing the border to public transportation, rentals and rules of the road, here’s what you need to know.   

International Airports 

Ontario has several international airports however the two main gateway airports are in Toronto and Ottawa, serving most major airlines and charter companies. In addition, domestic airports provide flight service within the province.  

Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ), Toronto 

Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ), Toronto 

Ottawa International Airport (YOW), Ottawa 

John C. Munro International Airport (YHM), Hamilton 

London International Airport (YXU), London 

Region of Waterloo International Airport (YKF), Waterloo 

Windsor International Airport (YQG), Windsor 

Domestic Airports 

Thunder Bay Airport (YQT), Thunder Bay 

Sault Ste. Marie Airport (YAM), Sault Ste. Marie 

Greater Sudbury Airport (YSB), Sudbury 

Jack Garland Airport (YYB), North Bay 

Victor M. Power Airport (YTS), Timmins 

Norman Rogers Airport (YGK), Kingston 

Chris Hadfield Airport (YZR), Sarnia 

Kenora Airport (YQK), Kenora 

Muskoka Airport (YQA), Muskoka 

Air Travel 

A large number of international airline carriers service Ontario. Several Canadian airlines offer flights between cities in Ontario, including: 

Air Canada 

Porter Airlines 


Train Travel 

VIA Rail Canada: offers passenger service in the Greater Toronto Area, Ottawa, Niagara Falls, Southwestern Ontario and Northern Ontario, with express service available between larger communities on most routes. Learn more about services for passengers with special needs 

Union Pearson Express: an innovative air rail link connecting the country's two busiest transportation hubs - Toronto Pearson International Airport and Union Station in downtown Toronto  

GO Transit: regional public transit service for the Greater Toronto, Hamilton and Niagara area. The Niagara Parks Travel Package covers a round-trip GO Trail fare plus a connecting two-day WEGO bus ticket 

Bus Travel 

Bus lines offering service throughout Ontario include: 

Ontario Northland: service in Toronto, Central and Northern Ontario 

Coach Canada: service from Windsor to Montreal along Highway 401  

Parkbus: service between Toronto and Ottawa and various provincial and national parks 

GO Transit: regional public transit service for the Greater Toronto, Hamilton and Niagara area 

Car Rental 

Car rental companies in Ontario include: 








RV Rental 

RV rental companies in Ontario include: 
Canadream RV Rentals 

CruiseCanada RV Rentals 

FraserWay RV Rentals 

Motor Home Travel Canada Inc. 

Owasco RV Rentals 


Taxis and Airport Shuttles 

Taxi and airport shuttle services offer transportation to and from major airports in Ontario, some with door-to-door service. Learn about long distance travel options at Toronto Pearson Airport. 

Airways Transit: service in the Greater Toronto Area and Southwestern Ontario 

Coach Canada: service in the Greater Toronto Area and Southwestern Ontario 

Niagara Airbus: service in the Greater Toronto Area and Niagara 

Red Car Service: service in the Greater Toronto Area 

Ontario Coachway: service in South Eastern Ontario 

Uber: service in Toronto, Ottawa, Niagara, Windsor, London, Kitchener-Waterloo and Hamilton 

Lyft: service in Toronto and Ottawa 

Public Transportation 

Toronto: the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is an efficient and convenient way to get around the city, seven days a week. A subway system links to buses, streetcars and a light-rail transit throughout the city. Download RocketMan, Toronto’s favourite transit app 

Ottawa: the OC Transpo provides public transit services around the city 

Bike Share Toronto: bicycle rentals in Toronto  

Bird Canada, Lime and Neuron: e-scooters rentals in Ottawa 


MS Chi-Cheemaun: runs between Tobermory and South Baymouth on Manitoulin Island 

Glenora Ferry: connects Glenora and Adolphustown in Eastern Ontario 

Pelee Island Ferries: run between Leamington or Kingsville and Pelee Island in Southern Ontario 

Toronto Island Ferry: departs from the downtown Toronto docks and services the Toronto Islands 

Wolfe Island Ferry: connects Kingston and Wolfe Island in Eastern Ontario 

Border Crossing 

Get up-to-date information about border crossings locations and wait times. 

Ontario Ministry of Transportation 
Canada Border Services Agency 
Border Wait Times 

Customs and Passports 

US Visitors to Ontario 

All persons, including U.S. citizens, travelling by air between the United States and Canada (including in transit passengers who are transferring planes in the U.S.) are required to present a valid passport or NEXUS card, according to an American law, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). 

U.S. WHTI requirements state that all US citizens must present a passport book, passport card, or other WHTI-compliant document for entry into the U.S. by land and water.  

Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security provides more information on travel requirements. 

Visit the U.S. Department of State or the Canada Border Services Agency for more information. 

Canadian Citizens

All Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, will need a valid Canadian passport to travel to Canada by air. 

All Other Visitors to Ontario 

Citizens of other countries, except Greenland, and residents of St-Pierre and Miquelon, must have a valid passport. Visitors from some countries also require a visitor's visa. Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for a complete list of countries whose citizens require visas to enter Canada. 

All visa-exempt travellers will be required to obtain an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) to board their flight to Canada. 

Travellers under the age of 18 and unaccompanied by a parent need a letter of permission to travel in Canada from a parent or guardian. 

Customs and Duty Free 

Locate your nearest customs office at Border Information Service (BIS).  

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency provides information on what agricultural items are restricted or prohibited entry to Canada. Learn more about customs information for visitors to Ontario at Canada International, at Canada Border Services Agency and at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Get the details on bringing alcoholic and tobacco products to Canada at Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

Learn more about duty-free allowances for returning residents of Canada. 
More information about entering or re-entering the U.S. is available through U.S. Customs for returning residents of the U.S. 

Rules of the Road

Information on highway and road conditions is available from the Ministry of Transportation (MTO). Call the 24-hour, toll-free number at 1-800-268-4686 with questions.  

Operating all motorized vehicles, including cars, trucks, All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs), snowmobiles, and boats, while impaired is strictly illegal. Fines and charges may be laid under the Criminal Code of Canada. 

Driver’s Licence 

A valid driver's licence is accepted in Canada for three months. If you're driving to Canada from the United States, bring the vehicle registration forms and a free Canadian Non-Resident Insurance Card from your insurance agent, or the policy itself.  

If you're driving a rented car, bring a copy of the rental contract and proof of authorization in your home jurisdiction if you are operating a Recreational Vehicle and/or Motor Home. 

Right Turns on Red Lights 

Generally, you can make right turns on a red light after coming to a full stop, unless signs indicate it is not permitted. 


Ontario law requires all adults and children weighing over 18 kg (40 lb.) to be properly restrained using the full seatbelts. Children weighing less than 18 kg (40 lb.) must be properly restrained with a child safety seat appropriate to the child's weight. Infants from birth to 9 kg (20 lb.) must travel in a rear-facing infant seat. Toddlers weighing from 9 kg (20 lb.) to 18 kg (40 lb.) must travel in a forward-facing child safety seat. 

Speed Limits 

Most freeways have a speed limit of 100 km/h (62 mph), while the Trans-Canada routes set the limit at 90 km/h (56 mph). Most other rural highways and country roads have a speed limit of 60km/h - 80 km/h. 

Road Services

The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) patrol the highways and other areas without municipal police services. If you are involved in a collision resulting in a personal injury or property damage, you should call the police (911) and remain at the scene of the accident until cleared by the investigating officers. 


Bicycles are considered vehicles and must obey the same traffic laws. For cyclists under the age of 18, it's mandatory to wear a bicycle helmet. 

CAA and AAA 

The Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) provides emergency roadside services, auto touring and travel services, discounts, insurance services, along with a number of products. The CAA is connected with several international automobile clubs, including the AAA. 

School Buses 

Traffic travelling in both directions, except divided roads or highways, must stop for a yellow school bus when its red lights are flashing, and the stop arm is extended. 

Streetcar Stops in Toronto

Vehicles must be at a stand-still stop at least 2 metres (6 ft.) behind the rearmost door of a stopping or stopped streetcar, for the safety of passengers getting on or off. 


International bridges, tunnels and ferries charge a fee. The Hwy. 407 Express Toll Route (ETR) runs across the north of Toronto from Pickering to Burlington, and is the only toll highway in the province. Cameras at all on and off ramps photograph licence plates of all vehicles, owners will be sent a bill in the mail.  

Some things to do may not be available due to COVID-19.

Many tourism experiences require advance bookings or have restrictions in place due to COVID 19. It is important to check directly with the business operator before you travel. Get the most up-to-date information now.

Looking for Ontario travel advice?

Our experts are here to help you plan your perfect trip.